Monday, November 17, 2008

We are at the end of our sixth transfer....



A nice Sunset on the way back to Budapest.






It is looking like we are getting to the end of the transfer. We can tell as there are more and longer meetings just around the corner by those who are decided about the transfers, and we see the president in his office much more. We can also tell that it is getting closer to the end of the month, as we get more and more missionaries submitting receipts for reimbursements. That is an all day job for me at this time of the month. At the first of the month it just takes a couple of hours. Our dollar has been up and that has helped them and us to be able to stretch our living money just a tad bit further.


Yesterday we had a great time driving to Szolnok. It is about an hour and a half without traffic to get there. We had traffic both coming and going. It was pleasant. We were assigned to speak on Joseph Smith. We had spent a great deal of time studying about him, trying to understand just a little more what he was like. We did ok with our talks. Thanks Andy for your suggestions. I used them well.
This Szolnok branch is very little, but they just keep finding more and more people and baptising them. They love it when we come. The branch is well run by the missionaries, who really have the vision. They are teaching them how the church is run correctly. They also play a bit with them. They have pictures on their makeshift bulletin board of the Halloween party they had. Everyone had a great time. There is one young man in the branch who is in the process of putting his papers in to serve a mission. That will be a great experience for the entire branch. It is amazing how many young men and women from Hungary are now serving, and have served missions. When they come back they are real strengths to the wards and branches. We are quite amazed at this little branch and how grounded so many of the members are in the principles of the Gospel.

This is the family of the young man (on your left) who is putting his papers infor the mission.


On the way home we put in our CD of Joseph (the Nashville tribute). We played through it at least twice. We really related to Joseph and the great music on the CD, because of all our new understanding. Thanks again Thuryle and Lloyd.



That was probably the highlight of our week. Some weeks are not as exciting as others. This one is one of those that it is hard to remember what we did. We know that every Monday we have staff meeting. It is always good to meet together and find out what is going on in the mission. Before we were invited, often we had no idea of what was happening in the mission unless someone happened to tell us. Now we are in the middle of it and it is good to know some things.


On Tuesday morning we always have our district meeting. It is good. This week I made Orange rolls for them. Last week we had a lesson where Elder Jensen passed around an orange and asked each of us what came to our mind. Natually, I said orange rolls. So I made them. They were good. I kept out a dozen and froze them on the tray. Then I put them in a plastic bag and have kept them in the freezer. Today when we get back from our assignment I will thaw them and cook them to see if it works good. If that method works…..move over Rhodes. I will do the thanksgiving rolls that method and cook them at the mission home so they will be HOT. We have three kitchens with ovens there. We will not be cooking turkey, as the turkeys here are scrawny and they don’t sell them whole. We may have turkey breast, maybe legs, maybe not.

Wednesday we just worked. I think Brent went to a program. Thursday is the memorable day. We got to work, and I realized that I could not spend the day there and be socially acceptable, so I went home and slept and drank all day. Brent worked. I got up in the late afternoon and got ready to go to a program. Just as I got in the car, the phone rang and they cancelled again. Friday I made it to the office and worked all day. I am now behind in my work and must get caught up on Monday


Saturday we went to Tesco shopping. Hadn’t done a big shopping for several weeks so we needed a few things. We just stayed home and prepared for our talks and putzed around. I had already done the wash so we didn’t even have that to do. Late in the day we got ready again to go the a discussion, again they called and she had cancelled again. We were glad to not be half way there when they called. I think that she is not going to follow through. It is hard to have people fall off when you have watched them feel the spirit and begin to really understand the gospel. We all have our free agency.

The program that we usually attend, was not held. It seems that our friend Attila, who was to have been baptized next week will be putting his baptism off for a while. He was “caught” by some missionaries smoking and the missionaries teaching him confronted him. He really does want to be baptized and will now work on it. We were not invited to the confrontation. Ali, I guess he goes back on your prayer list.


I gave you the run down for Sunday. Today is a new week and we started off with an office full of missionaries. They had to go to registration. When one member of a companionship has to go the other one has to come. We do love to see them, but sometimes is becomes all day that they are hanging out in and around our office. It is tough for the work.


We did get some great news, and it may cause us to go to Debrecen this weekend. You remember that I told you all about Misi, who was just made the branch president. He has a son who is a member and another son who is going to be baptized. He is 11 or 12. They are both great young men. wife is not a member. I think it is coming. The whole family is going to the temple. The boys to do baptisms and Misi to participate further. The wife is also going, but will wait outside for them. This is all huge and we hope that it won't be long before she joins the church too.


I thought you might like to see part of our apartment. You can tell I don't have lots of pictures for you this week.

You see the biggest part of our corridor kitchen. We have a flat top electric stove and a dishwasher. That is really Great!!! We also have an over and under fridge and freezer. That is also good.




This is our living room. We have three pieces of furniture that are black leather. We have a table and a TV. Some day I will take a picture of our light fixture. It is interesting, but gives off a lot of light and heat. The other picture in case you can't tell is me studying on the couch. Brent snapped it when I wasn't looking.






This is our lovely bedroom, looking the desk and very uncomfortable chair that we sit at the computer. The sliding doors do close all the way and lead to the other bedroom, note the pink walls. The slat blinds look out into the street at the building across the street. We have a small deck outside the doors.

Well, life does move on and we will have more pieces of excitement and work and we will do it and continue to share our exciting life with you. We truly are happy doing what we do, but miss you all very much, and appreciate your support.

1 comment:

The Sullenger's said...

No turkey, I am so sorry. I wonder if the missionaries caught all of us doing stuff, would they let us be baptized. No I am not smoking, but I am not perfect.