This is the real drawbridge beside what appears to be an old turret of the castle in Pecs. I hope it doesn't go up before I move.
Brent had lots of office stuff to do this week and was pretty busy, however, I was not so......
I had washing and ironing to do and cleaning. So I inlisted some help from him to move carpets, and furniture and I got busy with cleaning and trying to shine the wood floors. They look much better, but still need to be sanded and re-varnished. I washed the curtains and they look better. We hung the carpets over the balcolny and tried to beat them; we certainly couldn't shake them. He did get his work done.
Another big deal is that we found some mattresses on sale and bought some for our bed. I am not sure that we sleep better, but it sure looks better and is much easier to make.
Thursday I cooked cookies and banana bread. We took some into the mission office when we went to pick up mail. Brent likes lots of bananas, but they spoil so fast that I make lots of bread and use it for various occasions. It is good that it freezes.
Friday we put things together for a trip to Pecs and Kaposvar.
Saturday we drove to Pecs and in the evening we decided to walk around the town centrum. They have just completed a multi year re-do and it is great. Cars are no longer allowed to drive around it; just walking. We enjoyed seeing the changes.
On the way was the wall around a church, which looked to me like a castle wall. We explored just a little. It was interesting. There seemed to be a carnival atomosphere on the church grounds so we walked over to see what was going on. There were lots of small booths stretching out for quite a way, as we walked through we discovered that it was wine tasting. We didn't stop.
We went to meet with the Branch Presidents and their clerks about how the financiall things were going and see if we could be of help to them in being prepared for the upcoming audits. It was good to meet with them and good for them to know us. Actually, we already knew them.
We were also invited to speak in both Pecs and Kaposvar. It was so good to meet old friends again. There is a man in the Pecs Branch who was in the branch presidency when we were here before, but was released. He was put back in today. That was nice. You know that I have a special affinity for him being there, as he is a quad in a wheelchair. they have built a special ramp for him to be able to sit in front. The missionaries are very helpful to him. He is a delightful gentleman.
I met again the little Meagan double. She doesn't look so much like Meg, but does act like her. I especially noticed when she was pouting with arms folded and face scrunched up. She told me after the meeting that if I needed a hug from Meagan, that she would give me for Meagan.
We then drove the beautiful route through the "mountains" to Kaposvar. There we met some people who we also know. The girl who translated for us had done so before. The clerk is a young married man who was baptized the first week we were in Budapest three years ago. I recall his baptism and recall his wife's, though we did not go to her baptism, but remember the confirmation. They now live in a little falu (village) just outside of Kaposvar.
There is another family who lives outside of Kaposvar who were coming into activity when we were here, and seem to be very active now. The two boys who were with them were so well behaved it was not real. After the meeting he came over to visit with us and wanted me to know that he has done family history on one of his lines back six generations. That is because I did a sunday school presentation on that when we were here before and he got so excited. I could tell as I was teaching (really a dog and pony show) that he would be into family history. One of the members is helping him with understanding the new program. It is good to see some progress being made in that branch.
We had one other piece of excitement. on Saturday. Dave had written about his experience with helping with the indoor football game between Kansas City and the Salt Lake Blaze. He had posted some pictures. We turned on the TV and Brent was tired of the news (the only thing in English) and he started turning stations and he said doesn't this look like Salt Lake...Zion's Bank. I looked at the pictures Dave sent and realized that it was the same two teams. We kept watching, and listening to the commentary all done in Hungarian, and finally we were able to identify Dave a number of times. We were so excited! Just little things make a difference. I also think that everyone should have orange pants. Right Dave? Nan actually watched three quarters of football so she could see Dave.
We are now back home and ready for the new week to come, with all the things that we need to accomplish.
1 comment:
How sweet of Meg's clone! That made me smile. I'm so glad you were able to see Dave on TV. I couldn't find it online. Oh well.
Post a Comment